Frequently Asked Questions

  • What can I do to prepare myself for the program?

    Familiarize yourself with Adobe Creative Suite and what each program does. Become familiar with basic design and communication principles. Look at portfolios. Use Pinterest . Start to get a sense of your tastes and styles. Start your own blog. Start reading design, photography, video, and media blogs. Find a good time management system/tool.

  • How many hours do you spend on your homework and projects each week?

    Average 5 hours/day. Consider these two years very much like going to work.

  • What kind of computer will I need? Software? Does Financial Aid cover this cost?

    A laptop is highly recommended. Mac is the industry standard, but not necessary. Obtaining Adobe Creative Cloud software would be the place to start for software. Currently, Financial Aid does not cover these costs. Student software discounts are available through Journey Ed. You must have a school ID to receive a discount. A school identification cards can be obtained on the first floor of the Broadway Edison building, near the cashiers office.

  • Can I have a job during school? If so, how many hours can I plan to work?

    Yes, 10-20 hours a week is possible, much more than that becomes hard to manage.

  • Are work study jobs available?

    Yes, there are a variety of work-study positions available for students who financially qualify. Be sure to fill out your FASFA forms and check in with Financial Aid to see if you might qualify.

  • What types of scholarships are available?

    Seattle Central Foundation Scholarships

  • What are the hours I will be in class?

    First year: Monday - Thursday 9:00am – 2:00pm and Friday 9:00am – 3:00pm Second year: Monday - Friday 9:00am – 2:00pm

  • Is there an internship requirement?

    Yes. An internship is required. This is an opportunity to learn how various workplaces function and for you to gain experience outside of school. Students are required to do a 3-credit internship, which works out to 165 hours of work. The Cooperative Education office supports students in their efforts.

  • How well should I know Adobe Creative Suite?

    A basic understanding of what each program does is helpful. Join for tutorials, or, visit, also many more tutorials can be found for free by searching the internet. You may also access with your Seattle Public Library Card.

  • What type of equipment and resources are available?

    Macintosh workstations for each student w/ fiber optic Internet access. Commercial digital printing lab featuring HP and Xerox color laser printing, Epson large format ink-jet printing, 3-D printers, and an Epilog laser cutter. Checkout room with all of the latest camera equipment, Movi, DJI, Insta360, VR headsets Oculus Rift and Go as well as HTC Vive, Wacom Intuos and Cintiq tablets, audio equipment and much more.

  • Can you share tips about transportation? What is the parking like for students?

    Parking is very limited at Seattle Central, due to our urban location. There are two types of parking permits available to students: daytime (all–day) permit which is sold through a lottery and evening (afternoon) permit which is sold on a first-come, first-served basis.  Parking Info Many buses stop within a few blocks also the Link light rail station borders our campus one block to the north.

  • Do you have any survival tips for prospective students?

    First year seems overwhelming. It’s all about learning and experimenting. The first year is a safe environment to try something new, experiment and take risks, then figure out how to make your work stronger. Have fun and begin to create a support network with fellow students. For your second year, if it is financially feesible, try not to work outside of school so that you can concentrate on generating a professional portfolio.

  • What if I have a disability?

    Students that have been admitted to the Creative Academy may request reasonable academic accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. To request accommodations, students should self-identify to Disability Support Services. Accommodation is provided individually based upon the request of the student, supporting documentation showing evidence of current impact, and policies for reasonable accommodations in the post-secondary environment.